Products and solutions are available to solve the demanding packaging challenges for both brand owners and converters such as to provide resource efficiency and recyclability:
Optimum protection of goods is an impactful way of decreasing the environmental impact of human consumption. Dow will show several examples of solutions for downgauging food and transportation packaging layers while at the same time helping to reduce the amount of damaged goods during transportation and gaining in more functionalities
Improving recyclability will enable the transition of the packaging industry to a circular economy.
The audience will learn how compatibilizers help to resolve recycling problems for post-consumer and post-industrial waste. This will be demonstrated on two examples, covering PE/PP and PET/PE.
In addition the subject of chemical recycling will be covered looking at the advantages in terms of using post consumer waste streams back into circular applications but also the challenges associated with this field in the area of packaging from the point of view of a polymer manufacturer .
Structure simplification aligned with design guidelines for recyclability can help resolving these and other types of recycling challenges. Dow’s offering of polyethylene and ethylene copolymers solutions for flexible film packaging including oriented PE such as BOPE and MDO combined with other, compatible and recyclable, film components will be presented. Mono-material concepts, such as the all-polyethylene stand up pouches with and without barrier, enabled by our barrier adhesives, are first commercial successes, while other innovation examples are under development.
Collaboration is key to drive the changes needed to successfully meet the recycling goals set by the industry and the European Commission. We will show examples on how Dow’s PackStudios concept is accelerating collaboration and innovation throughout the whole value chain towards packaging that is ready for the future.
- Specific packaging developments examples to be shown that increase sustainability and recyclability (commercial and under development)
- Implementation cases on mono-material packaging concepts
- Upcycling with the help of compatibilizers
- Upcycling using chemical recycling to enable the use of PCR in food packaging applications
- Explore the role of Dow Pack Studios in driving eco-design and collaboration plus examples
- Using Dow’s and Dupont’s collaboration power to accelerate field projects for a more sustainable economy and society (examples: Virtuous Circle, Project Butterfly)